Omnipod DASH System Now Available in the U.S.
Editor’s Note: September 23, 2019: Insulet announced today that the Omnipod DASH has received clearance from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for an Alternate Controller Enabled Infusion Pump (ACE Pump), paving the way for it to be used in future interoperable systems.
April 29, 2019—The Omnipod DASH™ Insulin Management System is now officially available in the United States following a limited marketing release. Those interested in switching to DASH™ will need a new prescription from their doctors, including current Omnipod users. Insulet is still working with insurance companies to secure coverage for DASH™. Patients can verify their insurance coverage here. Additionally, Insulet has said that if a patient’s existing insurance plan does not cover DASH™, they will work to facilitate an appeal on that patient’s behalf.
Notably, the Omnipod DASH™ is expected to be the first device compatible with Tidepool Loop. Last November, Tidepool and Insulet announced plans to partner for the Loop program, which is currently seeking FDA Clearance. Those interested in DIY Looping (not cleared by the FDA and not supported by Tidepool) with the Omnipod will still need to use the current generation pods, formerly known as Eros.
What’s New in the DASH™ System?
- Updated PDM (Personal Diabetes Manager) – the handheld portion of the Omnipod Insulin Management System got an update and will feature a color touchscreen display
- Bluetooth wireless technology – DASH™ PDM and Pod will communicate via Bluetooth, laying the groundwork for current and future integrations with compatible technology—like meters, continuous glucose monitor (CGM) and management apps
- Meter integration – DASH™ will be optimized for use with CONTOUR® NEXT ONE Blood Glucose Meter for the transfer of blood glucose readings to the PDM’s bolus calculator via Bluetooth—the PDM will no longer have a built-in blood glucose meter (BGM).
- Diabetes management app integrations – the Omnipod Display and Omnipod View apps will provide users and their caregivers easy access to their insulin therapy information on their smartphones
- Omnipod DISPLAY allows users to discreetly monitor their PDM data on their smartphones
- Omnipod DISPLAY on a smartphone will include a “Find My PDM” feature
- Omnipod VIEW allows parents and caregivers to monitor their loved ones’ diabetes more easily. The iOS Today View widget allows users and their care teams to see their or their loved ones’ PDM and CGM data on one smartphone screen with one swipe
- New Pods – the DASH™ pods will look and work the same, but have been updated for Bluetooth compatibility with the DASH™ PDM, old pods will not work with the new PDM
- Rechargeable Battery – The DASH™ PDM will require recharging of its lithium ion battery, replacing the AAA batteries used in current Omnipod PDMs
- Payment Structure – The DASH™ PDM will be offered at no cost with the purchase of Pods
Find out more about the Omnipod DASH™ System on the FAQ page here.