Snail Mail Club
Welcome to the Beyond Type 1 Snail Mail Club, a pen pal program for kids and teens (adults are welcome too) with type 1 diabetes around the world. Have you ever wished you could have a friend with type 1 diabetes (T1D) in another part of the country, or another part of the world? Us too! That’s why we created the Beyond Type 1 Snail Mail Club!
Want to give another T1D kiddo a chance to be a pen pal? Donate to our Snail Mail Program today!
Beyond Type 1 is a company built on social media and technology, but we know that good old fashioned personal connections are just as important. Our hope is that the Snail Mail Club will foster community, create lasting connections that go beyond the page, and that some of you can even meet in person one day! At a minimum, it will give you one more person on your team.
Open to anyone with type 1 around the world. For a donation of $10.00, you or your child will receive a starter pack of Snail Mail stationery, envelopes and stickers. Scroll down to sign up!
The Snail Mail Club is made possible by Abbott, makers of the FreeStyle Libre 3 System, a partner of Beyond Type 1.
How does it work?
- Fill out the below form (with a parent’s help if you are under 13)
- We’ll match you up with a pen pal based on your answers (we match participants twice a month, right after the 1st and 15th)
- Once matched you’ll receive an email confirmation
- You’ll get a Starter Kit (awesome stationery, stickers, doodle paper).
- Write to your pen pal! (*see below)
- Have other questions? Check out our FAQ!
- If you have waited more than three weeks for your first letter, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Join the Snail Mail Club
I have a pen pal—now what?
- Write your first letter, telling your pen pal all about yourself! (You’ve been matched based on similar interests so this would be a good place to start.)
- Here are some things you can write about:
- I like to do _________ on the weekend.
- My favorite animal is _____________.
- My favorite tv show or movie is _____________.
- I have traveled to ________________.
- I was diagnosed on this date: _____________.
- My birthday is on this date: ______________.
- I am most scared of ___________________.
Address your envelope!
- Your address goes on the top left of envelope
- Your pen pal’s address goes in the middle right of envelope
- Your stamp goes on the top right corner of envelope
The Snail Mail Oath
Now that I have a pen pal, I will promise to write them letters! Because I am hoping to receive a letter, I must remember to write one. Every three weeks, I plan to write a letter and send it in the mail, sharing how life is going with T1D. I can share the good things and the tough things, but the most important thing is that I share.
Check out all the places Percy has been!