Snail Mail Club
Welcome to the Beyond Type 1 Snail Mail Club, a pen pal program for kids, teens, and adults with type 1 diabetes around the world. Have you ever wished you could have a friend with type 1 diabetes (T1D) in another part of the country, or another part of the world? Us too! That’s why we created the Beyond Type 1 Snail Mail Club!
How does it work?
- Complete an application (with a parent’s help if you are under 13)
- We’ll match you up with a pen pal based on your answers (Beyond Type 1 matches Snail Mailers twice a month, typically the 1st and 15th)
- Once matched, Snail Mailers will receive an email confirmation with a downloadable toolkit to help you get started
- Write to your pen pal! (*see below)
Join the Snail Mail Club
Have other questions? Check out our FAQ!
If you have other questions we didn’t address, send an email to SnailMail@beyondtype1.org
I have a pen pal—now what?
- Write your first letter, telling your pen pal all about yourself! (You’ve been matched based on similar interests so this would be a good place to start.)
- Here are some things you can write about:
- I like to do _________ on the weekend.
- My favorite animal is _____________.
- My favorite tv show or movie is _____________.
- I have traveled to ________________.
- I was diagnosed on this date: _____________.
- My birthday is on this date: ______________.
- I am most scared of ___________________.
Address your envelope!
- Your address goes on the top left of envelope
- Your pen pal’s address goes in the middle right of envelope
- Your stamp goes on the top right corner of envelope
The Snail Mail Oath
Now that I have a pen pal, I will promise to write them letters! Because I am hoping to receive a letter, I must remember to write one. Every three weeks, I plan to write a letter and send it in the mail, sharing how life is going with T1D. I can share the good things and the tough things, but the most important thing is that I share.
Check out all the places Percy has been!